What Is Tight Curl Theory?
Tight Curl Theory is an advanced cosmetology course done digitally that centers the care, cut, color, styling, and culture of tight curls.
These tight curls are often but not always found on women of African decent who have historically been excluded from the cosmetology curriculum. Our goal in creating this course is to set a new standard of competence and performance as an industry when working with the tight curl client.
This course is spread out over 9 weekly modules meant to build your tight curl skills from the ground up.
We anticipate that you will invest 3-4 hours weekly engaging in the content and then bring your ideas, questions, and AHA moments over to the Cut it Kinky Digital Mastermind in roundtable and co-working sessions with your fellow curl artists from around the world.
- In Module 1 Evaluate The Essential Elements we will apply Universal cosmetology to tight curls and explore, how to assess the hair in front of you properly while gaining confidence and understanding of tighter curl structure
- In Module 2 Explore The Third Dimension we use Line, Shape, Form, & Space to understand where tight curls live while breaking down fundamental cutting Techniques and The Geometry Of Tight Curls
- In Module 3 we Interpret The Tight Curl Culture by exploring Tight Curl Demographics, the History of black hair in the US, what is influencing tight curl clients and cultire, What Pro Curl Training Often Gets Wrong, and client fears + Expectations when visiting a salon/ stylist
- In Module 4 Curl Product Process we take a brand agnostic deep dive through the products + processes we’ve found that simplify the care + styling process for tight curls
- In Module 5 Rehab The Curls we attack tight curl myths and urban legend to get to the root of what moisture really is and how the products we use contribute to
moisture retention. we visually take you throughThe Curl Rehab Process from start to finish on two real life new clients that have never been exposed to Black Girl Curls teachings.
- In Module 6 Set the Style Standard where we explore the tight curl aesthetic along with the Secrets To Successful Sets
- In Modules 7-9 is where we get into all of the curls with consultations, setting, cutting shapes, along with before and after results. From Tight Tapers to longer lengths we span the essential elements of real life Curl Society Clients